Saturday, February 5, 2011

NeoAir Thermarest - Equipment Review - Bedding - Mattress

Equipment:
Thermarest Neoair inflatable mattress.

Review:
The main reason for purchasing this was to replace my leaking Denali mattress which has lasted me for 2 years. Seeing what was currently getting good reviews the Neoair caught my eye.
The Neoair is a very lightweight hiking mattress and folds up much smaller than any other mattress I've owned. 
The mattress and carry bag are sold separately.  I bought the regular size mattress for $A220 on ebay which included the carrybag.

It would be pretty hard to loose this mattress with its limegreen/yellow colour on one side.  Its so bright I thought I might need sunglasses to be able to sleep. The other side is silver which has a R factor like a roof batt of 2.5 so this keeps you from losing bodyheat into the ground.

Unravelling the mattress my initial thoughts were how long it would last as the material is very thin.
It folds up to a size similar to a half height 1.5 litre bottle and with its weight of 410g this will be great for multi day hikes.
The mattress is not self inflating and takes a few minutes to fill.  It inflates to a thickness of 5cm which keeps the body off the hard ground especially for a side sleeper like me.  I didnt really have a great sleep on  my intial test of it as I had forgot to pack a pillow so I'll have to rate it next time.






No comments:

Post a Comment